Daniel - I tried the work around recommended for bug 1849142 however
that didn't fix the problem and the issue still persists.

I therefore believe that the issue is a separate one.
Are you able to provide any advice on the best place to collect gnome-shell
logs?
I'm keen to assist in tracking down what ever information I can on this bug.

Thanks.

  Gnome high CPU preventing login after screen lock

  I have configured my PC to lock the screen automatically after a
  period of inactivity. Often when I come back to my PC I'm unable to
  login due to gnome shell running at 100% CPU (according to htop).

  The only way I can log in is to SSH to the machine from another PC and
  kill the gnome shell task running at 100%

  Other than noting this only happens when I try and unlock the screen I
  haven't been able to find any pattern which can explain this
  behaviour. I've never had problems with gnome shell while using the
  PC.

  Some info about the machine Ubuntu 20.04, Nvidia drivers, 4k monitors

  Package: gnome-shell 3.36.4-1ubuntu1~20.04.2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME