Did the verification using a Brother MFC-240C USB scanner.

Preparations:

* Installed brscan2 (brscan2-0.2.5-1.amd64.deb)
* Installed libusb-0.1-4 (ought to be a dependency of brscan2
  but that's not the case)
* Added myself to the lp group (sudo adduser $USER lp)

focal
-----
Verified the test case using version 1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2 of libsane,
libsane-common and sane-utils from focal-proposed. The scanner was found and I
could scan.

bionic
------
Verified the test case using version 1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2.4 of
libsane1, libsane-common and sane-utils from bionic-proposed. The scanner was
found, which is an improvement, but I could not scan.

brscan2 installs files not only in /usr/lib64/sane, but also directly in
/usr/lib64, and to be able to scan I had to add one of the symlinks
previously used to work around the absence of the proposed fix:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libbr*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 sep 19 02:49 /usr/lib/libbrscandec2.so ->
../lib64/libbrscandec2.so.1.0.0

So in my case this proved to be a fragile solution for bionic. But for
drivers which only installs in /usr/lib64/sane it should be a safe
solution of a long standing issue.

Conclusion
----------
Even if the solution isn't sufficient for bionic in my case, it's a step in the
right direction, and I would consider the proposed upload verified for both
focal and bionic.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic
verification-needed-focal
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-bionic
verification-done-focal

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Please support /usr/lib64/sane

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in sane-backends source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in sane-backends source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in sane-backends source package in Groovy:
  Fix Committed
Status in sane-backends package in Baltix:
  Confirmed
Status in sane-backends package in Debian:

  [Impact]

  The patch 0125-multiarch_dll_search_path.patch makes /usr/lib/sane be
  recognized as a directory for SANE backends. However, some .deb files
  with scanner drivers, typically provided by Brother, install files in
  /usr/lib64/sane.

  This issue has been discussed in bug #1728012, but was broken out from
  there to not block another more important change in bionic.

  sane-backends 1.0.31-1~experimental1 adds support for /usr/lib64/sane,
  and so do the debdiffs attached to this bug report for focal and
  bionic.

  [Test case]

  * Configure an affected scanner with drivers installed via
    e.g. brscan2

  * Try to scan with simple-scan

  -> Find that the scanner is not found

  * Install libsane{,1}, libsane-common and sane-utils from
    {focal,bionic}-proposed

  * Try to scan again

  -> Scanner found and scanning works

  [Regression risk]

  This only adds a directory to the lib search path via an existing
  patch, so the regression risk should be minimal.