I believe this *may* have caused a regression in the form of
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1276283/japanese-input-suddenly-broken.

Packages, which is subscribed to im-config in Ubuntu.

  Let im-config back off if IBus on GNOME desktops

Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in im-config source package in Focal:

  Note:
  Quite a few ibus crash bug reports have been marked as duplicates of this
bug. If you find that such a bug was not actually addressed through the fix of
this bug, please feel free to comment on the bug report and remove the
duplicate link.

  [Impact]

  GNOME desktops have built-in mechanisms for launching and configuring
  IBus. However, up to now im-config has overridden GNOME in this
  respect, resulting in a slightly different command for launching IBus
  and a few extra environment variables; most importantly GTK_IM_MODULE
  has been set to "ibus".

  This was recently changed via im-config 0.45-1 in groovy, where im-
  config does not do anything in case of IBus on a GNOME desktop. A
  positive side effect of the change is that the frequency of IBus
  crashes has been significantly reduced.

  No deep analysis has been carried out which explains *how* this change
  prevents IBus crashes. The basis for the conclusion is instead
  statistics from errors.ubuntu.com. Some relevant links can be found in
  this discourse topic:

  https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ibus-no-more-gtk-im-module-ibus/17727

  [Test case]

  We have not been able to reproduce the crashes, so a simple test which
  verifies the fix can't be accomplished. Instead we need to be
  attentive to possible regressions.

  * On an Ubuntu desktop, install ibus-libpinyin and ibus-hangul.

  * Log out and log in again (to an X session).

  * Enable Intelligent Pinyin and Hangul (from Settings
    -> Region & Language)

  * For each of Intelligent Pinyin, Hangul, and the on screen
    keyboard:

    - Confirm that inputting works without hassle

    - Do so on various apps: FF, TB, gedit, LO.

  [Regression risk]

  Even if we have done it differently in Ubuntu (and Debian), the GNOME
  mechanisms we now let replace im-config with respect to IBus is mature
  code which has been in use for quite some time on other distros. That
  speaks for a low regression risk.