** Tags added: focal

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Problematic dependency on python3-apport causes all Python invocations
  to install apport hook

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  This would be no big deal if python3-apport just sat there until it
  was used (which it would never be on my system, since I removed
  apport).  However, whenever python3-apport is installed, it
  unconditionally sets itself as sys.excepthook in Python3.

  The decision to have xserver-xorg depend on python3-apport basically
  means that every user who runs an X server will get this exception
  hook in Python whether they want it or not.

  And having python3-apport as the Python exception hook is not exactly
  harmless; it can still cause issues.  My relatively minor but annoying
  issue is that I see deprecation warnings every time I get an error
  traceback, because python3-apport uses some deprecated code.  I can
  imagine worse issues should there be an error in python3-apport; it
  could cause massive headaches and confusion for users who have no idea
  what's causing it.

  I'm not sure there is any point to have this dependency in the
  xserver-xorg package; it doesn't seem like those scripts will ever be
  run unless apport is installed and detects a crash, and apport already
  depends on python3-apport.  I made a nice equivs package to allow
  myself to uninstall it, and as far as I can tell X and its
  applications still run fine.

  This is for Fossa, package version 1:7.7+19ubuntu.