Hi. I finally upgraded to 18.04 and Nautilus without type-ahead find is
extremely limiting when it comes to file/folder navigation. I can't even
fathom why it would be dropped. But if search is now the default action
for when one starts typing, there should be a way to disable that, or
enable type-ahead find, if not in an easily-found, user-friendly way,
then at least as an option in Preferences. I know there is a patched
version available, but I'd rather not have upgrade headaches which can
arise from having patched versions of major system apps, so am just
adding my voice to the countless others on the web begging for action on
this.

  restore type-ahead find, again

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  The dropping of the type-ahead find patch in 17.10 might deeply affect
  non-technical users, as pointed out, this is possibly a bad HCI
  design. As there is a patch exists from the Arch community[1], and the
  at least some people managed to patch it in 17.10[2], might it be
  possible to add such patch back before 18.04.1 so that it won't affect
  people upgraded from 16.04?

  [1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/nautilus-typeahead.git
  [2]: https://askubuntu.com/a/1002521