What desktop environment do you use?
R -> I am using the GNOME version 3.36.3 in Ubuntu 20.04.

how do you test if it changed?
I use the terminal. I simply open the terminal and press the Tab key. And for
example, I chose the "Sonar" alert sound, but I always hear the "Drip" sound.

  Change alert sound ubuntu not working (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I installed the Ubuntu version 20.04 LTS. I would like to change the
  alert sound. I followed these steps:

  1.Open the Activities overview and start typing Sound;
  2.Click on Sound to open the panel;
  3.In the Alert Sound section, select an alert sound.

  However, after choosing the preferred sound it does not change!