Hi Daniel,

I did some testing because I seemed to be affected by this issue on
Ubuntu 20.04. In fact I first used the script from bernaerts mentioned
above (#4 for instance). Anyway I disabled its startup before these
tests, I mentioned it to clear the ground.

So I followed your instructions in #147: everything seems to work, the
two monitors.xml are identical and the configuration is correctly
applied on my system.

Then I tested some different real use behaviours, as I am working with a
laptop attached to a TV and I not always have them connected, but most
importantly I only use the TV to watch videos, while in normal use I
prefer to work on my screen only.

So I started with a new monitors.xml, setup the dual monitors (Join Displays)
view, and then tried:
1. unconnecting the TV "on hot", then connecting it again
2. the same, but logging out and in between the two steps
3. turning off the computer as it is, unconnecting the TV, restarting, and
connect the TV at some point
4. switching the configuration to Single-Display, then activating dual view
again

In cases 1-3 the configuration is back as expected, so everything ok. In case 4
the configuration is lost.
This is because in 1-3 monitors.xml is unaffected (a monitors.xml~ is instead
created and apparently used; not sure how that is handled), whereas in 4 it is
overwritten and the TV is not only marked <disabled>, but its whole
configuration (X,Y, scale, etc.) deleted.

This might seem trivial, but I originally expected the single-display
configuration not to interfere with the dual one in case 4 just as in
the other ones. 4 is quite a usual behaviour of mine, and maybe not
only: 1 and 2 are not recommendable (in fact, in one case the X session
crashed); 3 is surely correct, but 4 might also be quite likely - a
monitor/TV is physically connected, but used only at times (e.g., for
watching movies or for particular tasks), so one would switch it off and
want windows not to open there. Expecting the system to understand that
"Off" does not mean "forget its configuration"...

I think more people here fall in this kind of behaviour (surely #143 and
likely #114), which is not really an issue of the configuration not
being loaded, but rather a 'bad managing' of different situations

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Second screen position isn't saved from one session to another

Status in elementary OS:
  Fix Released
Status in GNOME Settings Daemon:
  Incomplete
Status in GNOME Shell:
  Confirmed
Status in Mutter:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME trusty series:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME xenial series:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME Flashback:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity:
  New
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  (Noticed on Ubuntu 14.04 beta 1 GNOME)
  At work I have a second screen, which I prefer to virtually put on the left
side of my laptop screen.
  Using gnome-control-center I can change the position of the second without
problem.
  But when I disconnect the second screen (to work on another place) and then
connect it again
  OR if I just power off the laptop and turn it on again,
  the second screen position is set back to the default right position.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu53
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Fri Mar 14 08:50:00 2014
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha amd64 (20140226)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gnome-control-center
  usr_lib_gnome-control-center: deja-dup 29.5-0ubuntu2