Obviously, my own bug report regarding this has been lost. I reported
the same problem some weeks ago, and somebody said this problem would be
solved with 78.6.0.

However, I can definitely confirm that the problem is NOT solved in
78.6.0. @Thunderfan has described exactly what happens.

I have tested this under Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 7, each with
TB 78.6.0.

I am aware that Thunderbird is free software with large parts made by
volunteers. However, I would also like to make clear that this is not a
low-priority problem and that such a long time to fix it is just not
acceptable, even if it's free software. That problem is putting more and
more pressure on us with each day it remains unfixed.

We are a company which often receives invoices as PGP-encrypted
attachments in messages which are not encrypted in whole (only the
attachments are encrypted). Since we have upgraded our PCs to TB 78 in
the end of last year, not having come to the idea that such a basic and
important function would be broken by the update, we have a massive
problem in our accounting now. I know other companies and even private
persons who also receive invoices and other important, sensitive
documents as PGP-encrypted attachment, and suffer similarly.

Our current "solution" is that the administrators ask the users to save
the attachments in encrypted form, and use GnuPG on the command line to
decrypt them, which means using the users' private keys. This whole
process is completely not acceptable under various aspects, among them
important legal aspects and the EU GDPR.

If it doesn't get fixed soon, we'll probably have to switch to Outlook.
We definitely won't go back to TB 68 where this was working somehow. So
I would be glad if we could get a honest and definitive statement from a
developer here. We can really understand if this won't get fixed because
it is too difficult, is not of high priority from the developers' point
of view, or takes too much time. But then please make a clear statement
that you won't fix it in the next time. Once again, that would be fair
enough, but please let us know about it.

Despite that problem, I'd like to say a big thanks to the development
team for all your effort and for providing TB and OpenPGP free of
charge. It has been, and still is, a revolution.

Best regards and a happy new year!

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Encrypted attachments cannot be opened or saved as decrypted files

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in Arch Linux:

  I have been using enigmail in thunderbird until I upgraded Ubuntu and
  with it thunderbird to the latest version 1:78.3.2+build1-0ubuntu1

  As enigmail is now integrated in thunderbird, I have gone through the
  painful upgrade process (it does not allow to look into
  passwordmanager for the pasphrase of the gpg keys it wants to import
  by blocking all other windows), and decryption of emails now works.

  But when looking at a decrypted email, fully being able to read the
  text content, when I want to use the Menu option "Decrypt and Open" by
  right clicking on an attachment (pdf in this case), nothing happens.

  What I expect to happen: The pdf file being shown to me in the pdf
  viewer. Or some error being displayed, or maybe I am asked for my gpg
  passphrase again for additional security.

  When trying the option "Decrypt and save as", next I can select a folder and
filename, (the pdf name without .gpg) and chose "save" - but when looking into
that folder, there is no decrypted file. (I tried this plenty of time, I am
sure its not there, and I did this action before the upgrade many times
successfully).

  What I would expect: the attached file without the .gpg suffix (the
  filename proposed when opening the dialog, which I did not change) in
  the selected directory.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      20.10

  $ apt-cache policy  thunderbird