The bug is not yet actionable, because a decision was not achieved yet.
The team working on 2020H2 bookmarks improvements wanted to complete
collecting users feedback and telemetry before evaluating further steps.
Thus, while I'm in favor of this change, we should at least wait the end
of that project.

Fwiw, there is already browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation, but that is
updated to the last used folder as a consequence of bug 1432604. So the
work here would pretty much introduce a pref to disable the behavior
from bug 1432604 (don't remember the last used folder).

  Ability to set default save destination for new bookmarks

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Though I can understand the rationale for making all new bookmarks go
  into an "Unsorted Bookmarks" area, I think that it would be good if
  Firefox provided an option to allow the user to change the default
  save location for new bookmarks, because I for one don't want to have
  to move every new bookmark I make to the "Bookmarks Toolbar", I would
  like to be able to have them just go there automatically, but I can't
  currently so it would be good if there were an option to change the
  default save location of bookmarks.