Public bug reported:

I have been trying to enable the fingerprint reader on my laptop (Ubuntu 20.10)
for a while without succeeding.
When trying to enroll a fingerprint (both via Ubuntu gui or fprintd-enroll) I
get this error

yaxit@chronos:~$ fprintd-enroll
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
failed to claim device: Open failed with error: The driver encountered a
protocol error with the device.
On the second attempt, the error turns to: Device 06cb:00df is already open

If I understand correctly, the sensor should be supported by libfprint
since https://bugs.launchpad.net/oem-priority/+bug/1893719

The issue is also described here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1307127/synaptics-6cb00df-fingerprint-sensor-not-working

** Affects: libfprint (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to libfprint in Ubuntu.

  [6cb:00df ] Synaptics fingerprint sensor not working

Status in libfprint package in Ubuntu: