This is the verification work I did from a package management
perspective, to verify correctness and consistency in a variety of
scenarii:

1) In a fully up-to-date focal VM with enigmail, jsunit and tinyjsd installed,
I enabled focal-proposed and updated:
    - from a terminal with `apt dist-upgrade`, debconf ncurses dialogs were
displayed to notify of the removal of tinyjsd and jsunit from the archive
    - from the GUI (update-manager), debconf GTK dialogs were displayed

2) In a fully up-to-date groovy VM with enigmail installed, I enable
groovy-proposed:
    - if jsunit and tinyjsd had been manually installed from focal-proposed
(i.e. they are empty packages), they are not removed
    - if jsunit and tinyjsd had been manually installed from focal (release),
they are removed with the upgrade

3) In a focal chroot without focal-updates, with enigmail, jsunit and
tinyjsd installed, I hand-edited /etc/apt/sources.list to upgrade to
groovy with groovy-updates and groovy-proposed and verified that jsunit
and tinyjsd were being removed as expected.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Backport Thunderbird 78 to 20.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in jsunit source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in thunderbird source package in Bionic:
  Triaged
Status in jsunit source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in thunderbird source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in tinyjsd source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in thunderbird source package in Groovy:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  Upstream Thunderbird version 78.2.2 should be a candidate for
  backporting to stable Ubuntu releases.

  I've successfully built 78.2.1 against both with forcing nodejs
  version (20.04, 18.04) and disabling AV1 support due to too old nasm
  (18.04). Attaching debdiffs here.