Still true in 21.04. You need to comment out the nvidia rule in:

  /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules

** Tags added: hirsute

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Wayland not available with proprietary Nvidia drivers even when
  nvidia-drm.modeset=1 is set

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  With Ubuntu 20.04, GDM 3.34.1 (bundled with Focal), and the
  proprietary NVIDIA drivers, I am unable to use Wayland to login, and
  can only use XOrg. Debugging this a little, I found that wayland
  support is wholesale disabled when proprietary NVIDIA drivers are used
  by this rule: /lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules (coming from the gdm3
  package), however it seems there may be more to this as well in
  upstream so this seems to affect mutter as well.

  To be clear, my system only has NVIDIA graphics, I do not also have an
  Intel integrated GPU, so this is not a duplicate of
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm3/+bug/1862531.