Most days, when this occurs, I just open up my lid and/or tap the power
button and it wakes up, and I close the lid again once it is awake.

In my particular case, when I wake up my laptop, my CableMatters
201055-BLK thunderbolt  port replicator sends my dual display 1440p
monitors into 1080p briefly as my 2160p laptop panel comes to life; I
close the lid and everything is back to normal on my dual 1440p panels.

All to say, I can wake up my system by opening the lid and/or hitting
the power button.

If I had to bet, I'd say the thunderbolt port replicator implementation
is part of the problem, as I see quirks with the various gadget drivers
running across it regularily that, thankfully, do not impact me as they
are not in my usual use case:

a) Using PD via the replicator sometimes requires re-plug before laptop detects
power and I don't think the charging is quite as fast, possibly not ramping up
the the Max Dell power rates for the port
b) Moving my Logitech keyboard/mouse dongle to the replicator from a local port
results in sometimes getting keyboard timeouts (even though the mouse is fine
over same dongle)
c) Opening the lid, the displays do not always switch modes correctly to the 3
screens (2 x 1440p and 1 x 2160p panel) and sometimes as bad as what appears to
be a useless 800x600 section of the actual desktop shown on one of the external
displays, closing the lid always returns to proper dual 1440p

These are the devices that enumerate on my replicator, with 04b4:f649
being the main one driving the Displays and thunderbolt and the FE and
USB devices attached.

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 0bda:8152 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8152 Fast
Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 04b4:f649 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Going to sleep instead of logging in while lid closed & external
  display

Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  I have the above described problem, which seems to be very similar to
  bug #1716160

  - laptop is in docking station and 2 monitors are connected (HDMI,
  DVI)

  - If the lid is closed and I boot the laptop I can input my
  credentials in the login screen and after hitting ENTER the laptop
  goes to sleep

  - If I then press the power button of the docking station the laptop
  wakes up and goes straight to the ubuntu environment w/o any user
  identification

  The device is a Lenovo T420 with classic docking station. Ubuntu
  18.04.3 LTS. Internal graphics Intel integrated grafics and dedicated
  Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200M with propriety driver 390.116. Behavior
  independent of the graphics used.

  I do not know what to do now since the latest state of bug #1716160 is
  "fix released" and so I guess it should be part of the ubuntu version
  I use?

  Thank you very much.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.28.4-0ubuntu18.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-25.26~18.04.1-generic 5.0.18
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-25-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed Aug 28 20:10:15 2019
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  GsettingsChanges:
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'app-picker-view' b'uint32 1'
   b'org.gnome.shell' b'favorite-apps' redacted by apport
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'gtk-im-module' b"'gtk-im-context-simple'"
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'show-battery-percentage' b'true'
   b'org.gnome.desktop.interface' b'clock-show-date' b'true'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190210)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)