advised by the bot to change the effected package

** Package changed: ubuntu => gdm3 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  Active Directory users unable to change expired password on logon

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  I have Ubuntu 20.04 domain joined in a test-lab environment. The
  problem is even if a user is set to change their password upon logon
  via Windows active directory the user is never prompted to do so. I
  have tried multiple domain join methods with the same result including
  the official Ubuntu "Integration of Ubuntu Desktop with Microsoft
  Active Directory" white paper

  https://ubuntu.com/engage/microsoft-active-directory

  Using this SSSD and Realmd AD joined method the user is denied logon
  and receives a "Sorry, that did'nt work. Please try again" message.

  When using a Winbind and Samba joined AD system the user receives an
  "expired password" warning but is allowed to logon to the system
  without being forced to change the password.

  Below are the WinBind steps with comments on each step:

  #hostname rename

  #!/bin/bash
  echo Please enter new hostname
  read hostrename
  sudo hostnamectl set-hostname $hostrename &&
  sudo rm -f /etc/hosts
  sudo cat > /etc/hosts << EOF
  127.0.0.1 localhost
  127.0.1.1 $hostrename.TESTDOMAIN.INC $hostrename

  ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
  fe00::0 ip6-localnet
  ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
  ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
  ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

  EOF

  #install needed packages

  sudo apt-get install bind9-dnsutils &&
  sudo apt-get install ntpdate &&
  sudo apt-get install samba krb5-config krb5-user winbind libpam-winbind
libnss-winbind &&

  #remove and create krb5.conf with specific variables
  sudo rm -f /etc/krb5.conf
  sudo cat > /etc/krb5.conf << EOF
  [libdefaults]
          default_realm = TESTDOMAIN.INC

          kdc_timesync = 1
          ccache_type = 4
          forwardable = true
          proxiable = true

  [realms]
          TESTDOMAIN.INC = {
                  kdc = DC01.TESTDOMAIN.INC
                  admin_server = DC01.TESTDOMAIN.INC
          }

  [domain_realm]
          TESTDOMAIN = TESTDOMAIN.INC
          .testdomain.inc = TESTDOMAIN.INC

  EOF

  #remove and create samba files with specific variables

  sudo rm -f /etc/samba/smb.conf &&
  sudo cat > /etc/samba/smb.conf << EOF
  [global]
  workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
  realm = TESTDOMAIN.INC
  security = ADS
  dns forwarder = 10.0.0.218
  winbind refresh tickets = Yes
  vfs objects = acl_xattr
  map acl inherit = Yes
  store dos attributes = Yes
  kerberos method = secrets and keytab
  idmap config * : backend = tdb
  idmap config *:range = 50000-1000000
  template homedir = /home/%U
  template shell = /bin/bash
  winbind use default domain = true
  winbind offline logon = true
  winbind nss info = rfc2307
  winbind enum users = yes
  winbind enum groups = yes
  EOF
  break

  #restart services

  sudo systemctl restart winbind smbd nmbd

  #home directory enablement

  pam-auth-update --enable mkhomedir

  #nssswitch removal and modification to enable domain accounts

  sudo rm -f /etc/nsswitch.conf
  sudo cat > /etc/nsswitch.conf <<EOF
  passwd: files systemd winbind
  group: files systemd winbind
  shadow: files winbind
  gshadow: files winbind

  hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
  networks: files

  protocols: db files
  services: db files
  ethers: db files
  rpc: db files

  netgroup: nis
  EOF
  echo done

  Since this is a test environment I manually added my DNS server in
  Network manager

  After the configuration script I tested authentication with the following
domain account:
  kinit administrator

  After the configuration script I manually joined with the following
  line:

  sudo net ads join -U administrator

  This joined the system to the Windows Domain TESTDOMAIN.INC with
  working DNS