I tested the version 33.1-0ubuntu0.20.04.2 from focal-proposed. It
works!

HP System trey service starts as expected at login. Does not popup the
error message.

When Zoom is started at startup the Zoom app indicator icon is visible
and it works as expected.

Thanks!

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-appindicator in
Ubuntu.

  Qt-based tray icons not displayed on start-up

Status in Ubuntu AppIndicators:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator source package in Groovy:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator source package in Hirsute:

  [ Impact ]

  My system version is 20.10. I upgraded from 20.04. I found such a
  problem, the tray icon cannot be displayed when the system is turned
  on or restarted, but if I kill the process and restart it, it will be
  fine.

  I searched on Google and didn't see a similar problem.This is my
  hardware configuration:

      CPU: Two Intel® Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz × 56
      GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [P106-100] / NVIDIA Corporation GP106
[GeForce 1060]

  https://i.stack.imgur.com/ybiVj.png

  [  Test case ]

  - Install a Qt app with a tray icon that should show on startup
  - At login the icon should be visible.

  An example is hp-systray, from the package hplip-gui:
   - Add it to the autostart (if you don't have HP printers just add the command
     `hp-systray -x`).

  Expect the icon to show

  [ Regression Potential ]

  No status icon service is ever initialized by the shell and so no app
  indicator is visible.

  ----

  ProblemType: BugDistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.10
  Package: gnome (not installed)
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair nvidia_modeset
nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu50.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Nov 24 16:34:31 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200731)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=zh_CN:zh
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  RebootRequiredPkgs:
   gnome-shell
   linux-image-5.8.0-29-generic
   linux-baseSourcePackage: meta-gnome3
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to groovy on 2020-10-25 (29 days ago)