@manu
Can you please run the command "lpstat -a"  and "lpstat -v" in terminal and
attach the listed output here.
In the error log I can see lots of these statements "HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing
for error 32 (Broken pipe)". This is typically related with cups-browsed not
able to find print destinations. This may be related with the ram usage issue
is there are too many calls.

Ideally these commands should list out all the destinations (ie.
printers). Your printer (Brother MFC L2710DW) should be listed. If not
then it will imply that the destinations are not discoverable or wrong
defaults has been set. In that case you may have to set the printer
using its PPD.

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  Printing to ipp printer uses multiple GB of ram. pdftoraster and/or
  filter chain selection at fault?

Status in cups-filters package in Ubuntu:

  I have an ipp/AirPrint capable printer (Brother MFC L2710DW) which
automatically got added by Ubuntu (I'm on XUbuntu).
  Printing larger documents will easily use multiple gigabytes of ram. If the
document is large enough this makes printing impossible or _very_ slow, as the
process either gets killed or starts swapping.

  By watching htop and /proc/$pid/exe I was able to determine that the filter
at fault seems to be /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftoraster.
  Indeed, manually calling pdftoraster with similar arguments as passed by cups
(taken from /proc/$pid/cmdline) I can observe the same memory use behaviour.
  Memory used seems to be linear in the number of pages and will reach around
7GB for a 48 page test-document.

  I am not sure if the resolution should be to fix the memory usage of
  pdftoraster or to make cups select a different filter chain. I
  describe below how I first tried to debug the issue with the help of
  the Debian wiki on cupsfilter and wasn't able to get the same
  behaviour because cupsfilter would select a different filter chain
  (involving gstoraster instead of pdftoraster).

  For my current situation it would also be nice to know if there's some
  way for me to work around the issue until it's fixed by printing via
  the filter chain selected by cupsfilter. Should adding the printer
  manually via the xfce interface or the cups webinterface work?

  ## Further info:

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      20.04

  $ apt-cache policy cups-filters
  cups-filters:
    Installed: 1.27.4-1
    Candidate: 1.27.4-1
    Version table:
   *** 1.27.4-1 500
          500 http://at.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  In the system print settings the printer has the device URI
"implicitclass://Brother_MFC_L2710DW_series/".
  From watching htop I get the impression that somewhere along the way that
changes to "ipp://Brother%20MFC-L2710DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/" (that's the
argv[0] of the offending process, the binary for which is
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftoraster).

  I am attaching test pdfs which exhibit the described memory use when used
with pdftoraster like this:
  /usr/bin/time -v /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftoraster 99 manu sometitle 1
'PageSize=A4 output-format=apple-raster Resolution=600dpi' testdoc/test48.pdf >
pdftorast.out

  The memory use and timings I get are in memory_use.txt.
  Information about the processes involved and their arguments when printing is
in watching_printing.txt.

  ## Trying to debug with cupsfilter:

  I also tried to reproduce the issue by following the steps on the debian wiki
about cupsfilter:
  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSFilter
  Interestingly, I could not get cupsfilter to select the same filter chain.
  I am not sure which ppd I should be using, though. I tried with
/etc/cups/ppd/Brother_MFC_L2710DW_series.ppd and with a ppd generated by
  driverless cat 'ipp://Brother%20MFC-L2710DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/'
  The former only outputs pdf:

  $ /usr/sbin/cupsfilter -p Brother_MFC_L2710DW_series.ppd -m printer/foo -o
number-up=2 testdoc/test96.pdf -e --list-filters
  pdftopdf

  The latter uses gstoraster:

  $ /usr/sbin/cupsfilter -p driverless.ppd -m printer/foo -o number-up=2
testdoc/test96.pdf -e --list-filters
  pdftopdf
  gstoraster
  rastertopwg

  Running either without the --list-filters option finishes reasonably
  fast and doesn't use excessive ram.