Thanks for your response. I looked a bit more into it, and it seems that
the official recommended way of dealing with this problem is the symlink
approach, and that en-GB is explicitly provided by the en-US package -
the compiler of the thesaurus intentionally combined both languages'
spelling variants as synonyms within the same thesaurus.

http://astarix.co.uk/2012/06/proper-british-language-tools-libreoffice/
https://askubuntu.com/questions/42850/how-do-i-add-english-uk-thesaurus-and-other-locales-to-libreoffice

In fact, it even gives the right British-English options. When I test it
in LibreOffice, and search for the word "hue", it prompts me with both
"color" (USA) and "colour" (GB). Similarly, it offers "aluminium" and
"aluminum" as synonyms, and "pavement" and "sidewalk".

So, please reconsider - or at least create a metapackage "mythes-en-GB"
which depends on "mythes-en" and contains the symlinks.

(After all, should a better solution arise i.e. someone compiles a
dedicated en-GB thesaurus, we can always improve, but this approach gets
99.9% of the way there, vs. nothing, - and in the unlikely event that
the GB-user ends up with a US-english word, such as "color", it is
already caught by the GB-english spellchecker).

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #749204

Packages, which is subscribed to libreoffice-dictionaries in Ubuntu.

  en-gb thesaurus is missing

Status in libreoffice-dictionaries package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Problem: The EN-GB thesaurus is missing for LibreOffice.

  To observe:
  1. Fresh install of 21.04, set Location to United Kingdom.
  2. Start LibreOffice Writer, choose the Tools menu.
  3. The "Thesaurus" item is greyed out.

  Root cause: there is no mythes-en-gb package available (but there is
  mythes-en-us).

  Workaround:
  Give British English speakers the American English thesaurus i.e.
  symlink the US thesaurus by the GB one.
  cd /usr/share/mythes; ln -s th_en_US_v2.dat th_en_GB_v2.dat;  ln -s
th_en_US_v2.idx th_en_GB_v2.idx;

  Note: this report and tested workaround is on a fresh install of
  21.04, although this problem has been extant for years. There appears
  to be no GB version of the thesaurus. However, as UK-english and USA-
  english language is so similar, it would be OK to provide the
  thesaurus from the US package in the meantime as a symlink.

  For others who find this bug report while searching the same issue, note that
  en-us is "english united-states"
  en-gb is "english great-britain",
  -uk    is "ukraine".
  (Don't look for "english united-kingdom", en-uk, which doesn't exist).