I don't think 'main' is necessary for this. It's not part of the 20.04
release series and shouldn't be because it's a major feature and still
stabilizing/buggy (I'm working on it). DING can however be released to
20.04 'universe'. I don't see why not.

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Please backport Desktop Icons NG to 20.04

Status in Focal Backports:
  New
Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng package in Ubuntu:

  After testing Hirsute for a bit, I am convinced that Desktop Icons NG
  fixes a large and frustrating usability issue on the LTS desktop. It’s
  a wonderful restoration of functionality that I still trip over myself
  expecting from “muscle memory” in 20.04, but being reminded that I
  can’t do simple things like drag and drop.

  I have read some others suggestions to just install the extension
  oneself, and upon investigation, I found that it wasn’t a very clear
  process. Even Igor at dedoimedo.com had issues with going this route
  -> https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-ding.html 4 .

  For these reasons, I am hoping that someone out there (hopefully more
  than one) agrees that replacing the current desktop icons package in
  20.04 would only help those on an LTS desktop. As excited as I am for
  the interim releases (especially concerning Wayland and Pipewire), I
  don’t want to move away from a well-supported release to have a
  desktop that we could have (and I feel should have) in 20.04. I know
  that some work would be involved, but I for one would be very
  grateful, for what it’s worth.

  Thanks to all for your time.