I stand corrected: fractional scaling on/off persists. The scale (100%)
does not, it jumps back to 200% and my Chrome windows that were on the
external screens are back on the internal display.

The latter was already reported as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1927948

I am using Wayland yes, which I guess is default in 21.04.

Sorry for this off-topic comment, but I'm a bit frustrated:

What I'm also missing is instructions how to get things working nicely
in 21.04 with Wayland, this still looks like a massive WIP /
construction site. Don't get me wrong, ppl with external monitors and
HiDPI internal screen are probably a minority, so I appreciate not
everything can be fully tested by devs/QA before release.

I've tried to follow instructions here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#Multiple_external_monitors

...but only some of them help. I would appreciate Ubuntu documentation
on how to get Chrome, Thunderbird, Skype, Signal Desktop, Telegram, ...
working nicely with this setup.

I will take some time to dig deeper and report appropriate bugs against
respective packages, if appropriate.

  Display settings don't persist across reboot / sleep

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  My setup:

  Dell XPS 13 7390 2-in-1, internal display (3840x2400)

  First external monitor: Dell 24" running at 2560x1440 connected via
USB-C/Thunderbolt
  Second external monitor: same, connected to the first monitor via DP

  Scale of the internal display set to 200%, fractional scaling on
  Scale of the external displays set to 100%, fractional scaling on

  What I expect:

  Settings persist across reboot / sleep / resume.

  What I observe:

  Settings for external monitors are back to 200% scale, fractional
  scaling off.

  Looks like there's a problem detecting the external
  monitors/resolutions in time.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.38.4-1ubuntu2
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue May 11 12:12:28 2021
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.38.4-1ubuntu2
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to hirsute on 2021-05-05 (5 days ago)