The correct way to fix this issue is not to comment out the lines
mentioning kwallet, but to make the modules silent by prepending a '-'
(dash) to each line. Example:

# /etc/pam.d/lightdm
-auth    optional        pam_kwallet.so
-auth    optional        pam_kwallet5.so
-session optional        pam_kwallet.so auto_start
-session optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

Same in /etc/pam.d/lightdm-greeter.

This feature is mentioned in the pam.conf(5) manpage:

       If the type value from the list above is prepended with a - character
       the PAM library will not log to the system log if it is not possible to
       load the module because it is missing in the system. This can be useful
       especially for modules which are not always installed on the system and
       are not required for correct authentication and authorization of the
       login session.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Running without pam-kwallet installed issues a warning in auth.log

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in pam package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  After upgrading to lightdm 1.10.0-0ubuntu2 I started to see this error
  in auth.log:

  Apr 10 14:34:54 simon-laptop lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so):
/lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
  Apr 10 14:34:54 simon-laptop lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so

  This seems like a regression because with lightdm 1.10.0-0ubuntu1 or
  before I didn't have this error showing. FYI, I don't have the pam-
  kwallet package installed.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      14.04

  $ apt-cache policy lightdm pam-kwallet