Lightdm shall never suspend the system itself. Instead it should
properly report idle status to systemd where a decision can be taken by
checking all relevant services, sessions and inhibitors.

In the past I have reported that idle suspend does not work while showing login
screen:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/1730606

After upgrade to 20.4 the system keeps suspending when one seat is
showing login screen despite of a user is typing on another seat.

The workaround here seems to help with the unwanted suspend, and still
needs the cron job to override the missing idle hint and to suspend when
applicable.

Another similar reports mentioning multiseat setup as a victim of the
gdm not playing in the team with systemd: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME
/gnome-control-center/-/issues/22

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues #22
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/issues/22

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm ignores power saving settings; suspends system in 20 minutes
  regardless of sleep-inactive-ac-timeout parameter

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  Dear colleagues,

  We have discovered an abnormal operation of the lightdm
  (1.30.0-0ubuntu4~20.04.1) program.

  1. When no user is logged in (the initial user selection screen is
  displayed) the idle system goes into suspend (sleep) mode. The timeout
  for this event is 20 minutes.

  2. I tried to cancel the entering into sleep mode. To do this, I
  altered the sleep-inactive-ac-timeout and sleep-inactive-battery-
  timeout parameters to 0.

  The command sudo -H -u lightdm dbus-launch --exit-with-session
  gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
  gives the output:

  root@supercat:/home/supercat# sudo -H -u lightdm dbus-launch
--exit-with-session gsettings list-recursively
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
  No protocol specified
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-ac-action 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power time-critical 300
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor false
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-hibernate 'hibernate'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim true
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-power 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-battery-action 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power priority 0
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-brightness 30
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power active true
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power critical-battery-action 'hibernate'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-suspend 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power button-sleep 'hibernate'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power percentage-critical 3
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power ambient-enabled true
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power notify-perhaps-recall true
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power percentage-low 10
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power percentage-action 2
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-type 'suspend'
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power time-low 1200
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout 0
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power time-action 120
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power use-time-for-policy true

  3. I checked the result, the system still suspends (goes into sleep mode) in
20 minutes. I checked the IdleAction parameter in /etc/systemd/logind.conf,
because it may affect the suspend mode. It is set to ignore.

  #  This file is part of systemd.
  #
  #  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
  #  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
  #  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
  #  (at your option) any later version.
  #
  # Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
  # You can change settings by editing this file.
  # Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file.
  #
  # See logind.conf(5) for details.

  [Login]
  #NAutoVTs=6
  #ReserveVT=6
  #KillUserProcesses=no
  #KillOnlyUsers=
  #KillExcludeUsers=root
  #InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
  #HandlePowerKey=poweroff
  #HandleSuspendKey=suspend
  #HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
  #HandleLidSwitch=suspend
  #HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend
  #HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
  #PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
  #SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
  #HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
  #LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes
  #HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
  IdleAction=ignore
  IdleActionSec=30min
  #RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
  #RemoveIPC=yes
  #InhibitorsMax=8192
  #SessionsMax=8192

  I came to conclusion that lightdm ignores correctly given setting for
  not suspending the system (org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
  sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0).

  Commentaries on this finding are welcome.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.17
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  Package: lightdm 1.30.0-0ubuntu4~20.04.1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  Tags: focal third-party-packages
  Uname: Linux 5.4.96-050496-lowlatency x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2021-02-10 (92 days ago)
  UserGroups: android audio cdrom dialout dip fax floppy fuse lpadmin netdev
plugdev sambashare scanner tape users vboxusers video
  _MarkForUpload: True
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport:
   # set this to 0 to disable apport, or to 1 to enable it
   # you can temporarily override this with
   # sudo service apport start force_start=1
   enabled=0
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2014-03-07T13:05:12.906701