I am now seeing similar build failures (where the build hangs forever
before eventually being killed) when building the firefox 89.0 release
candidate, on pcc64el, on bionic and focal (the version of rustc is
1.47.0+dfsg1+llvm-1ubuntu1. Groovy, hirsute and impish are not affected.
I need to look into it further to understand if the hang also happens
when building the webrender crate.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  thunderbird 78.9.0 FTBFS on ppc64el

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  The build hangs forever when compiling the webrender rust crate (see

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/1:78.9.0+build2-0ubuntu3/+build/21368163).
  I'm attaching the full build log for future reference.

  This happens when building with rustc 1.50.0+dfsg1+llvm-0ubuntu4 and
1.50.0+dfsg1+llvm-0ubuntu5 (the latter is the version currently in the hirsute
release pocket).
  The build completes when building with rustc 1.50.0+dfsg1+llvm-0ubuntu2.