There's no gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock package for focal [1], but I
did try with Dash to Dock from extensions.gnome.org, and could not
reproduce the issue with it. I tried with the default settings, as well
as after recreating the look & feel of Ubuntu Dock as much as possible.

Dash to Dock has customizable action for the scroll (to either switch
workspaces or windows, or to do nothing), and all of those also worked
just as expected.

I also noticed that using the two finger scroll function of the touchpad
on my laptop does *not* trigger this (whereas using the mouse on it
does).

* [1]
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  Horizontal scroll over dock causes it to crash and disappear, and a
  temporary GUI freeze

Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:

  # Steps to reproduce
  0. have a mouse with horizontal scrolling functionality (mine is a Microsoft
Comfort Mouse 4500 with a tilting action for horizontal scroll)
  1. move mouse pointer over the dock
  2. use the mouse scroller to scroll horizontally

  # What I expect to happen
  Nothing

  # What happens
  Mouse pointer and everything on screen freezes. After a few seconds it
unfreezes, but all the icons from the dock are missing. I have to log out and
back in to restore the dock.

  # Other info
  Slightly similar to LP #1875106, but I'm not using imwheel.

  I am using Wayland.

  Syslog seems to always point to this one function: "The offending
  callback was get_preferred_height(), a vfunc". I'll attach the
  relevant part from one crash.

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock 68ubuntu1~20.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.8.0-53.60~20.04.1-generic 5.8.18
  Uname: Linux 5.8.0-53-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Mon May 31 20:35:37 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200731)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock
  modified.conffile..etc.default.apport: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.default.apport: 2020-11-30T20:24:48.587084