Thanks, let's close it then, feel free to open a new report if you get
issues with the current version

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Thunderbird unable to access external pgp keys

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird source package in Focal:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird source package in Groovy:

  Since upgrading thunderbird to the latest ubuntu package
  1:78.7.1+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 (and thus throwing out enigmail) I
  cannot use encryption anymore.

  The 78 version of thunderbird has replaced enigmail with its own
  implementation of PGP encryption, and it is still able to decrypt
  messages accessing the pgp agent.

  But the access to gnupg seems to be completely broken. The keyring is
  completely empty, it does not now any public key and needs to learn
  from scratch.

  Even then, I cannot reply to an encrypted mail with an encrypted
  (unsigned!) answer, since thunderbird cannot find my key.

  To enable PGP functions at all, thunderbird requires to enter the settings
and configure which pgp key belongs to the mailbox account, and offers to

  * create a new key
  * import from a file
  * use an external gnupg key (e.g. on smartcard)

  Since I'm using a smartcard key, I've chosen the third option and
  entered the key id, which is accepted, but not listed in the key
  manager. Even if my own key is technically not required to send an
  encrypted list (except for making the Sent folder readable for
  myself), I can't send the message. Thunderbird raises an error message
  because the configured key cannot be found on the keyring.

  Which is technically correct, since the import from gnupg didn't work,
  both with the smartcard and a regular soft key.

  Obviously, thunderbird has some problem accessing the gnupg keys.

  My first guess was that apparmor causes problems, but that's not the
  case. I've used strace to verify that thunderbird has access to
  ~/.gnupg , and indeed it can and does read the files, therefore I'm
  not sure, why it actually doesn't work.

  Nevertheless, it doesn't work and I currently can't send encrypted
  messages.

  Package: thunderbird 1:78.7.1+build1-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.16
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  hadmut     1759 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   hadmut     1759 F...m pulseaudio
  BuildID: 20210203182138
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Channel: Unavailable
  CurrentDesktop: LXQt
  Date: Thu Feb 25 12:22:09 2021
  Extensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  ForcedLayersAccel: False
  IncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  Locales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  MostRecentCrashID: bp-42a938ea-d29a-4ad6-95cd-df43e0210213
  PrefErrors: Unexpected character ',' before close parenthesis @
/usr/lib/thunderbird/omni.ja:greprefs.js:732
  PrefSources: prefs.js
  Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=78.7.1/20210203182138 (In use)
  RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
  SourcePackage: thunderbird
  SubmittedCrashIDs:
   bp-42a938ea-d29a-4ad6-95cd-df43e0210213
   bp-cd2c713c-37b0-4b60-9b06-b94130210125
  Themes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  dmi.bios.date: 10/12/2012
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: H61TIW08.111
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: H61H2-TI2
  dmi.board.vendor: Medion
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Medion
  dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrH61TIW08.111:bd10/12/2012:svnMedion:pnG24:pvr1.0:rvnMedion:rnH61H2-TI2:rvr1.0:cvnMedion:ct3:cvr1.0:
  dmi.product.family: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.name: G24
  dmi.product.sku: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: Medion