The GTK developers tell me that this is fixed in the latest version of
libgtk.  How do I upgrade libgtk to the latest version on Ubuntu 20.04?
Is there a way I can pull in an update for just this package from a
newer version of Ubuntu, without breaking everything else?

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Print dialog box shows same printer twice

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:

  I have set up a single HP printer which is attached to my network.
  The setup process went smoothly, and when I open the Printers system
  setup panel, I see only my printer there.

  However, when I print from an application, and that application uses
  the system print dialog box, my printer appears twice.  One entry,
  matching the name correctly, works fine.  The other, which a slightly
  changed name, does not work at all.  See attached screenshot.

  Applications that have their own print dialog box do not have this
  problem.  For example, Firefox shows only my printer once.  Same thing
  with Libre Office.

  Release:        20.04