Public bug reported:

This is a very weird bug that started occurring since I updated to 21.04. I am
not sure mutter is the correct package. I have a bluetooth mouse that works
perfectly (I'll clarify below why I'm sure it works). Sometimes, seemingly at
random, scrolling stops working correctly, but not always in all applications
(eg. scroll starts failing in Firefox, but works fine in Terminal). When this
happens, moving the mouse around over a window causes it to scroll randomly up
and down, while moving the mouse wheel also works randomly (sometimes it
scrolls in the correct direction, sometimes in the opposite direction,
sometimes not at all).
This occurs only when I have my external monitor connected (dual, non mirrored
displays). If I unplug the display, the problem disappears immediately. If I
plug the display back in, that problem reappears immediately (if it was already
occurring before). While the problem is "active", I can scroll without problem
using the notebook's touchpad. It seems to affect only the mouse.
I've seen messages like this in the log, but it does not seem strongly
correlated with the occurrence of the problem:
libinput error: event21 - MX Anywhere 2S Mouse: client bug: event processing
lagging behind by 21ms, your system is too slow
Also, rebooting the computer fixes the issue for a few hours/days, until it
appears again. Also, the problem sometimes "solves itself" after a few minutes,
or it intermittenly appears every few minutes.

Package: mutter 3.38.4-1ubuntu2
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu65.1
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
CurrentDesktop: GNOME
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64 (20181017.3)
SourcePackage: mutter
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to hirsute on 2021-05-30 (17 days ago)

** Affects: mutter (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug hirsute wayland-session

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Mouse wheel not interpreted correctly when using external display

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu: