I spent some time attempting to reproduce on AWS today, using a
g4dn.xlarge instance, which has a Nvidia Tesla T4 GPU, which supports
GRID.

I installed ubuntu-desktop-minimal and rebooted, and gdm started fine
with mutter 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.1. I confirmed this by looking at the
instance screenshot.

I then downloaded and installed the Nvidia GRID 450.51.05 driver, and
rebooted. The system came up, I checked lsmod, the nvidia kernel modules
were loaded, and the instance screenshot shows gdm running. I then
installed VMware Horizon Agent 7.13.0-17123958 and rebooted, and again,
gdm started just fine.

Attached status of gdm3.service, nvidia-smi and instance screenshot.

I wonder if this is GPU specific? or hypervisor specific, since the
affected user runs on VMware esxi. I will again ask for more
information.

But for the moment, this seems very specific to the affected user's
environment, and not a widespread regression.

** Attachment added: "Output of systemctl status and nvidia smi"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mutter/+bug/1930359/+attachment/5505411/+files/aws-working-g4dn-xlarge.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  gdm fails to start with latest mutter 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 in
  focal-updates

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in mutter source package in Focal:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [Impact]

  gdm fails to start in a VMware Horizon VDI environment, with Nvidia
  GRID gpus passed into the VDIs.

  Downgrading mutter from 3.36.9-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 to 3.36.1-3ubuntu3 in
  -release fixes the issue, and the issue does not occur with
  3.36.7+git20201123-0.20.04.1.

  Currently looking into what landed in bug 1919143 and bug 1905825.

  [Testcase]

  [Where problems can occur]