Hi Marcin,

WFM on Debian Lenny after upgrading from 2.26 to 2.30.2.

However, I can confirm your findings on either 2.26 (shipped with Debian Lenny)
or 2.28 (shipped with KNOPPIX 6.2 which is quite identical in architecture of
Debian distro).
Even though my Sofia package was correctly installed and its command-line
utilities were working and showed no errors, Empathy ignored *everything* SIP.

Seems neither version before 2.30 has working SIP support, whilst it
worked a treat after upgrading to 2.30.2 (from Debian Squeeze).

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Lack of SIP support after installation

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “empathy” package in Debian:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  Empathy package recommends several Telepathy plugins which add support
  for many IM protocols. But after instalation I was unable to add SIP
  account (which was main reason of installing empathy).

  So I started checking why...

  For SIP to work telepathy-sofiasip package needs to be installed. It
  is listed as dependency only in telepathy-core which is dependency of
  telepathy-gnome. It is not recommended by Empathy nor even suggested.

  I wonder how many users of Empathy in Ubuntu complain about lack of
  SIP support.

  Package: empathy 3.1.1-1ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0-0.1-generic 3.0.0-rc2
  Uname: Linux 3.0-0-generic x86_64
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Jun 14 16:34:25 2011
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Release Candidate amd64
(20100419.1)
   LANG=pl_PL.UTF-8
   LANGUAGE=pl_PL:en
  SourcePackage: empathy