It seems that this bug has resurfaced? I'm having the same issue when
using "--exclude-if-present" when using duplicity 0.8.12 on Ubuntu
20.04.2

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  --exclude-if-present gives OSError looking for tag in locked folders

Status in Duplicity:
  Fix Released
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in duplicity source package in Zesty:

  As per:
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2016-08/msg00009.html

  "I want to send a backup with --exclude-if-present=TAG and
  --include-filelist.
  The folder /src/folder is not accessible (mode 750, not owner, not
  member of group). This folder is excluded by way of '- **/folder' in
  the include filelist. Does the selection process resolve
  exclude-if-present=TAG before it looks at include/exclude filelists
  anyway ?

  duplicity 0.7.10 (python 2.7.12) fails with

  OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/src/folder/TAG'

  duplicity 0.7.06 prints

  Error accessing possibly locked file /src/folder

  but it isn't a showstopper."

  I can confirm this is the case. The reason is that --exclude-if-
  present looks in each folder within the backup tree looking for the
  excluded tag, even if that folder is later excluded.

  The difference between version 0.7.06 and 0.7.10 is likely caused by my rev
1224:
  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.7-series/revision/1224
  which fixed Bug #1089131 by removing the readability check when the directory
was first scanned and instead moved it to when the file comes to be included by
the Select function. The issue here is that the function that deals with
--exclude-if-present checks for the tag by simply trying to access it, without
checking if it has access, giving an OSError.