Before anyone asks...

The intended design of desktop-icons-ng is to hide the icons in the
overview, as they do after logging in (and more reliably in Xorg than
Wayland sessions).

In future it would be really nice to show the icons in the overview,
shrunken with the GNOME 40 desktop. But that's not the intended design
of desktop-icons-ng and would require a lot more work. So that would be
an enhancement for later not related to this bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  Logging in to GNOME 40.2.0 causes desktop icon extension to show as
  application in Activities overview

Status in Gnome Shell Extension Desktop Icons Ng:
  Unknown
  In Progress
Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri, I have done today's updates, including
  GNOME 40, and when I rebooted, I saw the desktop icons in the
  Activities overview that has the grey gears icon and the gibberish
  name. However, when I clicked on it, I'm taken to the desktop. When I
  open the Activities overview again, that "application" didn't show up.

  I suspect that this "application" came from a GNOME extension that
  handles desktop icons, called gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng.
  Because I thought that it loaded AFTER the Activities overview opened
  at log in. This repeats every time I reboot or just log off and log
  back in.

  Steps to reproduce:
    1. Update the Impish system to the latest version
    2. Reboot

  Expected results:
    The "application" that came from the desktop icon shell extension doesn't
appear in the Activities overview

  Actual results:
    This "application" shows up in the overview with the grey gears icon and
the gibberish name every time a user signs in to the new GNOME 40 desktop

  lsb_release -rd:
  Release:      21.10

  apt-cache policy gnome-shell:
  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 40.2-1ubuntu1
    Candidate: 40.2-1ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 40.2-1ubuntu1 500
          500 http://sy.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  If there is any more information needed, let me know.

  Package: gnome-shell 40.2-1ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.11.0-20.21+21.10.1-generic 5.11.21
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Jul 16 15:07:53 2021
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo" - Alpha amd64 (20210123)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 40.2.1-1ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell