On 2021-08-31 01:06, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Sometimes, some Debian GNOME members object to Unity/Ubuntu-specific
> patches being pushed into Debian.

I know. But we can ask, right?

If we are turned down, and before dropping the patches, I think the
folks who keep Unity alive should be consulted.

> (because overall, it helps Debian if Ubuntu developers will upload
> new versions of packages faster).

Indeed.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop3 in Ubuntu.

  Sync gnome-desktop3 40.4-1 (main) from Debian experimental (main)

Status in gnome-desktop3 package in Ubuntu:

  Please sync gnome-desktop3 40.2-2 (main) from Debian experimental
  (main)

  Explanation of the Ubuntu delta and why it can be dropped:
    * Merge with debian, remaining changes:
      - Add 04_compute_average_color.patch: Compute the avergage color in
        gnome-desktop itself, not in unity to fix some races (LP #963140)
      - Add tweak_color_computation.patch, Patch from Gord, no patch header,
        no bug link.
      - debian/control.in: Build-Depend on language-pack-gnome-he for build
tests
      - debian/rules:
        + Specify gettext domain for dh_translations.

  - The language-pack dependency is not needed since the build tests
  work fine without it. The build generates the locales it needs.

  - I added the translation domain to Debian since we've added similar
  overrides in Debian in libgweather and glib2.0

  - That leaves 2 patches. Both of the patches take an existing function
  to determine the "average" color of the desktop wallpaper and tweak it
  so that it looks at the left side of the wallpaper since that's where
  the Ubuntu Dock is. The patches are old. As far as I can tell, that
  function isn't actually used by anything in Ubuntu excluding the
  remnants of Unity. I checked gnome-shell, mutter, and both our default
  extensions. I checked codesearch.debian.net. The patches are an
  interesting idea but it's only helpful where a desktop wallpaper is
  asymmetrical with different colors on the left side.

  My opinion is that it's not worth maintaining a Debian diff for an
  unimportant Unity tweak.

  (One side note, the gnome-desktop patched code was copied into unity-
  greeter and its 2 forks, arctica-greeter and slick-greeter. But it's a
  code copy so it doesn't matter what we do in gnome-desktop.)

  Changelog entries since current impish version 40.2-1ubuntu1:

  gnome-desktop3 (40.4-1) experimental; urgency=medium

    [ Jeremy Bicha ]
    * New upstream release
    * debian/rules: Set translation domain for Ubuntu

    [ Marco Trevisan (Treviño) ]
    * debian/control: Use versioned dh-sequence-gnome instead of duplicating

   -- Jeremy Bicha  Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:13:53 -0400

  gnome-desktop3 (40.2-2) experimental; urgency=medium

    * force usage of gnome-pkg-tools (>= 0.22) to ensure gnome:NextVersion gets
      generated properly

   -- Sjoerd Simons  Sat, 10 Jul 2021 21:13:45 +0200