Thank you for trying; it's rather puzzling this one.   I ran the snap
command on the upgraded machine and got:

robert@samhain:~$ sudo snap install hello-world
[sudo] password for robert:
hello-world 6.4 from Canonical✓ installed
robert@samhain:~$ hello-world
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded
(failed to map segment from shared object): ignored.
Hello World!
robert@samhain:~$

So not entirely smooth, but it looks like the snap store was accessible.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  chromium browser deb to snap switch kills dist-upgrade

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  During the 16LTS to 18LTS (GUI) distribution upgrade I received a
  warning that the process couldn't connect to the snap store.   I
  didn't have any snaps installed, so I continued with the distribution
  upgrade and everything worked OK.

  During the 18LTS to 20LTS (GUI) distribution upgrade I received and
  accepted the same warning.   As before I had no snaps installed.
  However, I did have Chromium browser installed, and as part of the
  distribution upgrade this tries to switch from being installed from
  deb to being installed from snap.   At this point the distribution
  upgrade came to a complete halt.   Also the desktop GUI became
  unresponsive, but it was possible to switch to a TTY console with
  (say) CTRL-ALT-F4, login, and execute commands.

  The first time this happened I managed to recover the situation
  somehow, and proceeded to a working 20LTS installation (albeit with a
  few quirks).   The second time it happened I was not, and ended up
  with a mish-mash of 18LTS and 20LTS that wouldn't boot to the desktop.
  Fortunately the second time I had made a disk image of the 18LTS
  system, and was able to go back to that.   I removed Chromium, and
  trying the distribution upgrade again I was not issued with the snap
  store warning, and the process completed uneventfully.

  BTW, I tried to report this problem using ubuntu-bug, but I hit this
  brick wall: https://bugs.launchpad.net/apport/+bug/1160316.   Hence
  the manual report.