I'm not sure this is actually a bug.

We supported moving the clock to the center in case the dock is in panel
mode, but I think in the auto-hide case, there will be always a case
where people will prefer to have it centered to the desktop (when it's
mostly hidden) or to the actual workarea.

So, I think this can be closed.
We can continue the discussion upstream.

** Changed in: gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  Enabling 'Auto-hide the Dock' moves the clock and desktop icons

Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  The clock and desktop icons are moved 1 slot to the left when enabling
  Auto-hide the Dock.

  Reproduce:
  - Open the Settings > Dock
  - Enable Auto-hide the Dock

  If disabling Auto-hide, the clock and desktop icons are moved in the
  opposite direction (to the right). In certain situations this can make
  the desktop icons go off screen.

  Reproduce:
  - Open the Settings > Dock
  - Enable Auto-hide the Dock
  - Place a icon on the right edge of the screen
  - Disable Auto-hide the Dock

  Expected behavior:
  The clock should never move. Desktop icons that are overlapped by the
launcher can move when disabling auto-hide, if this exception is not feasible
the icons should never move automatically.

  Important notes:
  - The steps to reproduce may be different in later versions of Ubuntu
  - The Dock needs to be positioned on the left of the screen in order that the
described issues are seen. However, that is the default position on
installation.
  - Positioning the dock at the bottom or right of the screen may yield
different issues or none at all.