This problem persists with recent versions of Ubuntu and Evince when
editing files on CIFS/SMB shares, even after disabling AppArmor.

The reason for this is that Evince attempts to move the temporary file over the
original PDF while it still has the latter file open, and overwriting open
files is not supported by SMB:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2021-November/238366.html
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2021-November/238367.html

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Permission error saving a file

Status in evince package in Ubuntu:

  On Ubuntu 15.10, using evince 3.16.1-0ubuntu1, I fill out a PDF form.
  When I save the form, I get the message "Error renaming temporary
  file: Permission denied", and the file is not saved. I don't have
  permissions trouble in any other apps.

  The problem happens only when I'm using a filesystem that I mount in
  /mnt, and not for example in my home directory or in /tmp. Although I
  launch evince from the terminal, there are no unusual error messages
  printed there. However, journalctl shows a string of error messages
  (see attached log).