Some times I do the following: I connect my laptop to a screen with HDMI
cable and in the settings set audio output to the HDMI. Later I
disconnect the HDMI cable without doing anything to the sound settings
and turn off the PC. When I turn on the PC again it thinks that the
sound should still go to the HDMI, even though it's no longer connected.
Going in to the sound settings the Output Device drop-down is blank, so
it obviously knows that the HDMI is disconnected, but it just doesn't
make any sound.

That's the main issue I have. Not switching to HDMI sound on connecting
the HDMI might be the best default, I'm not sure, but at least you might
have some other preference for where you want your sound to come from
when you connect it. But when you disconnect, the sound can no longer
come from the HDMI, so you never want it to keep to the HDMI output, you
always want it to switch to something else.

----

My intuition about what should happen when you connect HDMI: If the
current output is trough built in speakers it should automatically
switch to HDMI. If the current output is trough mini-jack or other
output (meaning the person is using a headset or external speakers), it
should keep the current setting and not switch to HDMI.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [Sound Output Built in Speaker to HDMI] No auto switch from Speaker to
  HDMI and back

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  When connecting a HDMI output the Audio Output won't switch
  automatically to the HDMI output from the Built in Speakers, it is
  required to enter the Settings and switch manually. When disconnecting
  the HDMI output the audio output won't come back to the built in
  Speakers as it was previously before connecting the HDMI output.

  I understand that may be intentional, however I do believe the audio
  auto switch output to HDMI when a cable is connected and then back to
  previously default output when HDMI is disconnected should be the
  default, if a different audio output would be required than a manually
  setting may be ok.

  Thanks,

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.8.0-59.66~20.04.1-generic 5.8.18
  Uname: Linux 5.8.0-59-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.18
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  fabriciolb   1497 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jul 11 10:32:46 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20210209.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:PCH successful
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_Jack: Digital Out, HDMI
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: None of the above
  Title: [80YH, Intel Kabylake HDMI, Digital Out, HDMI] Playback problem
  dmi.bios.date: 06/30/2020
  dmi.bios.release: 1.47
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 4WCN47WW
  dmi.board.asset.tag: NO Asset Tag
  dmi.board.name: Cairo 5A
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: SDK0J40679 WIN
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: NO Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Lenovo ideapad 320-15IKB
  dmi.ec.firmware.release: 1.47
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr4WCN47WW:bd06/30/2020:br1.47:efr1.47:svnLENOVO:pn80YH:pvrLenovoideapad320-15IKB:rvnLENOVO:rnCairo5A:rvrSDK0J40679WIN:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrLenovoideapad320-15IKB:
  dmi.product.family: IDEAPAD
  dmi.product.name: 80YH
  dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_80YH_BU_idea_FM_
  dmi.product.version: Lenovo ideapad 320-15IKB
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO