Daniel:

Thank you for the email; thank you for taking an interest in my bug and
helping me.  I may need to edit my original description based on the
following (if editing is allowed).

I believe my problem is different than 1948008 because I am able to copy
from the Desktop and then paste back to the Desktop.

I am not able to copy a file from the Desktop to another folder (e.g.,
cannot copy to Documents, Downloads, Pictures, USB-Thumb-drive, etc.);
Paste is greyed out.  Likewise I am unable to copy from any other folder
and paste to the Desktop.

If I open the desktop as a folder (Show Desktop in Files) then I can
copy a file from the desktop folder to another folder. Likewise I can
copy a file from another folder to the desktop folder.

Note: I can copy/paste files between other folders (e.g. copy a file
from Documents to Downloads and vice-versa); my bug only affects the
Desktop.

Note: I recently installed gnome-tweaks;  I then changed the Workspaces
from "Dynamic Workspaces" to "Static Workspaces"; number of Workspaces:
4. Today I changed it back to Dynamic (default).  It did not correct
bug.  I may have changed something else in gnome-tweaks.

On 11/10/21 8:06 PM, Daniel van Vugt wrote:
> Are you copying/pasting to or from the desktop? If so then this is bug
> 1948008.
>
> ** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  after upgrade today I cannot copy paste file from one folder to
  another

  I select "Copy" a file in one folder (e.g., Pictures); select another
  folder (e.g., USB Thumb-drive or Documents or any other folder) and
  the word "Paste" is greyed-out (not accessible).

  As such I cannot do a File Copy-Paste.

  Problem occurred shortly after doing a requested update (about 200 Meg
  required).

  Rebooted computer; no help.

  Never had this problem before.

  Running Ubuntu 20.04

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.36
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.11.0-40.44~20.04.2-generic 5.11.22
  Uname: Linux 5.11.0-40-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Nov  9 07:28:27 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64
(20210209.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)