Quoting Sebastien Bacher (2021-11-12 16:42:24)
> Thanks Simon, the switch of build system is not needed there, the build
> fix for the new autoconf is simple, I've sent a patch to Debian
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
> bin/bugreport.cgi?att=1;bug=978911;filename=build_new_autoconf.patch;msg=20

True, but the new RC4 module uses CMake exclusively, and I figure it's
easier to just switch the whole package rather than try to write in the
autotools support for RC4.

It would all be so much easier if upstream would release a new version,
but they don't seem particularly interested:

https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/2126

** Bug watch added: github.com/transmission/transmission/issues #2126
   https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/2126

Packages, which is subscribed to transmission in Ubuntu.

  transmission: Fail to build against OpenSSL 3.0

Status in transmission package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  As part of a rebuild against OpenSSL3, this package failed to build on one or
  several architectures. You can find the details of the rebuild at

  https://people.canonical.com/~schopin/rebuilds/openssl-3.0.0-impish.html

  or for the amd64 failed build, directly at

https://launchpad.net/~schopin/+archive/ubuntu/openssl-3.0.0/+build/22099409/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-
  impish-amd64.transmission_3.00-1ubuntu2.0~ssl3ppa1.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

  We're planning to transition to OpenSSL 3.0 for the 22.04 release, and
consider
  this issue as blocking for this transition.

  You can find general migration informations at
  https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man7/migration_guide.html
  For your tests, you can build against libssl-dev as found in the PPA
  schopin/openssl-3.0.0

  This has been fixed upstream, currently on master:
  https://github.com/transmission/transmission/pull/1788