This is still buggy.

Every time there's a new ubuntu release of Thunderbird  (now on 91.3.1)
I have to repatch /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird.sh and comment out
"export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1"

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1932328

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Apps don't use Wayland by default

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in qdirstat package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in telegram-desktop package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  The Ubuntu universe has a big Wayland problem!

  What does that mean?

  So a lot of packages in the Universe repository are not compiled with
  Wayland support which is really bad and would lead to bad performance
  after 21.04 comes out.

  Here are the following packages that I detected with wrong
  compilation:

  telegram-desktop (Wayland support work with snap version)
  kiwix
  firefox (everything works fine with this env variable
set:"MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1")