also reported here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2074

dup with:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-share/+bug/480187
that was upstreamed to nautilus, but they say it is nautilus-share

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues #2074
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2074

Packages, which is subscribed to nautilus-share in Ubuntu.

  local sharing of any directory under home (~) fails due to permissions

Status in nautilus-share package in Ubuntu:

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2074
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/2023

  ubuntu 21.10, GNOME 40.4.0

  described here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/229870/why-cant-i-get-
  to-a-shared-folder-from-windows

  killed me all day today until finding the top answer there, which
  solved it.

  i tried settings/media sharing.  i could not see the indicated
  directories on my LAN from a mac.  (BUG 1)

  i right-clicked a directory that was supposed to be shared by that setting
(/home/username/Videos/), clicked "local network share", enabled sharing and
allowing guest access.  this brought up a dialog to install samba which i
agreed to.
  i still could not see the directory from the mac.  (BUG 2)

  only once i spent all day googling and finally found the askubuntu
  solution did i figure out the problem -- "other users" needs execute
  permission on all directories above the shared directory all the way
  down to the root.  /home/username/ does not have that permission.  you
  need to set it if someone sets sharing with guest access on any
  descendant of a home directory.

  now if i don't set guest access, my ubuntu username/pw are rejected
  when trying to log in from the mac -- i think there is some samba
  configuration necessary and you need to set up remote access for
  credentials that have local access whenever someone says they want
  sharing.  (BUG 3)

  lastly, i get file transfers of 8MB/s when i push to the server from
  the mac.  but when i pull from the mac on the server, i only get
  3MB/s.  (BUG 4)  i know this probably isn't your fault, but can you
  direct me to how i should investigate why this is?  i don't know where
  to even start with it -- would it be two different versions of samba
  on the two different machines?