Public bug reported:

A similar problem is reported here by someone:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1241475/cut-paste-or-copy-paste-not-
working-on-ubuntu-20-04-on-using-right-click-context

Everything was working fine when I had installed Ubuntu. This problem
began either ever since I did an update or perhaps after I installed
(don't know which) program.

The problem:
If I copy a file/folder directly from the Desktop, then open Nautilus and try
to paste the file/folder into any other folder, the Paste option is shown as
disabled, in the right click menu.
Image attached.
Same way, if I copy a file/folder from Nautilus and try pasting it directly
onto the Desktop, the Paste option is shown as disabled in the right click menu.

However, when I open the Desktop folder in Nautilus, I can copy or paste
any files or folders to any other file or folder that's open in
Nautilus.

I'm sure this is not a file or folder permission issue. I'm able to copy
and move the files/folders without sudo when I use the terminal.

If I try to copy a file from Nautilus and right click on any folder on
the Desktop, the "paste into folder" option is not available either.

Guys, Ubuntu has such really annoying bugs related to the Desktop.
Please fix them ASAP.

Package: nautilus 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1.20.04.1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.13.0-27.29~20.04.1-generic 5.13.19
Uname: Linux 5.13.0-27-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.21
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Sat Jan 22 20:17:40 2022
GsettingsChanges:
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.compression' b'default-compression-format' b"'tar.xz'"
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'sidebar-width' b'205'
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.preferences' b'click-policy' b"'single'"
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name', 'size',
'type', 'owner', 'group', 'permissions', 'where', 'date_modified',
'date_modified_with_time', 'date_accessed', 'recency', 'starred',
'detailed_type']"
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20210819)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_IN
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: nautilus
usr_lib_nautilus:

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug focal

** Attachment added: "paste not available"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1958719/+attachment/5556386/+files/pasteDisabled.png

  Copy paste does not work from and to Desktop

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu: