I have tested adding a custom protocol handler in Firefox by creating
the following entries in about:config :

  network.protocol-handler.expose.webcal
  network.protocol-handler.external.webcal
  network.protocol-handler.warn-external.webcal

and I did manage to get a new entry for the webcal protocol, but
associating it with an external application (either thunderbird or xdg-
open) doesn't work in the firefox snap, because the file dialog that is
presented to the user to select an application uses the xdg desktop
portal which remaps the path to e.g. /run/user/1000/doc/9a5d9a5e/xdg-
open.

This needs testing in the firefox deb, with snap confinement out of the
way.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  webcal:// URLs do not open calendar application

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I have Thunderbird 91.5.0 (64-Bit) installed on Ubuntu 20.04 and use
  it for calendaring.

  When clicking on a webcal:// or webcals:// URL in Firefox 96.0
  (64-Bit) on Ubuntu 20.04, nothing happens.

  I expect that Thunderbird opens and asks to subscribe to the calendar.