+1000

Just installed Ubuntu for my mother today, and I learned her yesterday
how to install a software. We were both confused (I'm a developer and
I'm very confused about this "feature" too) about the fact that the
search bar is hidden until we type some text on the keyboard.

Today she called me trying to install a software (not listed in the
featured softwares in the main page), and she didn't remember how to
search for a particular software by name.

Last month I installed Ubuntu for friends (30 years old, daly users of
Android phone so used to softwares) and same thing: they called me 2
times to ask how to search for a software ? "is it possible to install
another software than those that are listed in the main page ?"

I've seen in Gnome's issues that Gnome devs thinks that this is a
typical Gnome behavior; okay maybe; I hate Nautilus and most of Gnome
apps for their "simple designs". But this is definitively not a typical
Ubuntu design: when we display the "magical search bar" that appears
after pressing super key, we see the search bar, really well highlighted
in the center. I really think that software search bar should be obvious
to find.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Focal regression: poor discoverability for search in Ubuntu Software
  Center

Status in GNOME Software:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  I wanted to install a new package. Launched Ubuntu Software and... how
  do I search for anything?

  Search is a key function. It should be front and center. I couldn't
  see it.

  That was annoying enough that I wanted to file a bug against it. In
  the process I did notice the lens icon in the top left, but seriously
  - does that look easily discoverable to anyone? There's usually
  nothing in that cornerl so users don't look there, and the contrast is
  poor, which makes it very easy to not notice.