Ok. So, we now have three bugs with identical descriptions - this one,
bug #1942789, and bug #1946476. Either they're independent bugs, in
which case they should have different test cases, or they're basically
all the same bug, in which case we should pick one of the bugs and mark
the others as duplicates.

It *seems* like they're all fundamentally “We want to default to on-
demand, and ensure that gives RTD3 on supported laptops”, so maybe
that's *two* bugs and we drop the third? I don't really mind.

Additionally, there are changes in the upload which do not appear to have any
corresponding bugs. Namely:
- Use bootvga detection when last_gfx_boot is not available.
- Catch BrokenPipeError.

If those are not part of the RTD3/ondemand fixes, they should have their
own bugs so that we can test that they fix what they're expected to fix.
If they *are* part of the ondemand fixes, that's fine, and someone
should just document that.

Sorry for the back and forth on this - to get this over the line, would
you kindly give me a ping (RAOF on libera.chat in #ubuntu-devel or
#ubuntu-release) when you've responded to this, and we'll see if we can
get this all sorted out this week.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  ubiquity uses performance mode for nvidia driver

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nvidia-prime source package in Focal:
  Incomplete
Status in nvidia-prime source package in Hirsute:

  [Steps to reproduce]
  1. Install 20.04.3 with "Third-party packages" on a system which containing a
RTD3 supported nvidia card.
  2. After the installation, press enter to reboot system
  3. prime-select query

  [Expected result]
  on-demand

  [Actual result]
  performance

  ---

  It's because ubiquity launches `ubuntu-drivers install --packages-list
  ...` in live system but install each package to target storage.

  When installing nvidia-prime, the preinst set "on" to "/etc/prime-
  discrete" which will be referred by gpu-manager. The gpu-manager will
  set to performance mode.

  After confirming with Alberto on Mattermost, since we don't have a
  nvidia driver which lower than 450 version since focal.

  I think we are ok to switch to on-demand mode.

  ---

  [Impact]

   * Ubuntu will set GPU mode to performance as default which may use more power
   * User can't use GPU for other purpose (eg: deep-learning) if RTD3 is not
supported
   * According to Nvidia README, the RTD3 doesn't support on non-laptop machine

  [Test Plan]

   * Install Ubuntu, and then execute 'ubuntu-drivers install' to install GPU
driver. After the installation, reboot the system. Execute "prime-select query"
should get "on-demand"
   * Old GPU (which supported by nvidia-390 only) will keep in performance
mode, refer LP:1957094. Execute "prime-select query" should get "nvidia"
   * On non-laptop machine. Can set GPU mode to on-demand
   * On laptop with GPU in runtime PM support list. Set GPU mode to on-demand
and Nvidia driver is loaded with "NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement=0x02"

  [Where problems could occur]

   * With GPU supported RTD3 not able enable runtime PM on non-laptop.
  But based on the Nvidia README, this case shall not happened.

  [Other Info]

  Changelogs:

  nvidia-prime (0.8.16~0.20.04.2) focal; urgency=medium

    [ Jeremy Szu ]
    * Set on-demand mode as default nvidia mode (LP: #1942307)

    [ Alberto Milone ]
    * prime-select:
      - Detect chassis type and enable RTD3 only
        on laptops (LP: #1942788).
      - on-demand mode doesn't need to depend on
        RTD3 (LP: #1942789).
      - Use bootvga detection when last_gfx_boot
        is not available.
      - Don't check the current profile when setting
        a profile (LP: #1946476).
      - Catch BrokenPipeError.
      - Use bootvga detection when last_gfx_boot is
        not available.

  nvidia-prime (0.8.16.2~0.21.04.1) hirsute; urgency=medium