Thanks for the bug report. Next time it happens, please press the power
button as usual and after the system has restarted run:

  lspci -k > lspci.txt
  journalctl -b-1 > prevboot.txt

and attach the resulting text files here.

Please also check for crashes by:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Responses#Missing_a_crash_report_or_having_a_.crash_attachment

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.

  Display freezes after entering password from login screen

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  The display freezes with the same background colour as the login
  screen. The mouse pointer no longer moves. I was unable to change to
  another VT when the display freezes. Only a press of the power button
  seemed to make the laptop respond by triggering a shutdown.

  I've had to switch to "GNOME on Xorg" to be able to login/see the
  desktop. Wayland was working fine until some time around the last
  week.

  Package: mutter 42~beta-1ubuntu2
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME