This bug was fixed in the package gdm3 - 42.0-1ubuntu7

---------------
gdm3 (42.0-1ubuntu7) jammy; urgency=medium

  [ Alberto Milone ]
  * Default to Wayland for hybrid systems with Nvidia graphics drivers.
    Default to Xorg but offer Wayland with the gear button on the login
    screen for non-hybrid systems with Nvidia graphics drivers. (LP: #1968929)

 -- Jeremy Bicha <jbi...@ubuntu.com>  Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:32:09 -0400

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu Jammy)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  Missing Wayland login option on NVIDIA systems

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  New
Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gdm3 source package in Jammy:

  Impact
  ---------------------
  Systems using Nvidia graphics drivers should have an option to use Wayland
but Xorg should be the default.

  Hybrid systems using Nvidia graphics drivers should use Wayland by
  default.

  Test Case 1
  -----------
  Create a new user (since existing users can choose their own session).
  Restart your system after applying the update.
  Select your name on the login screen.
  A gear button should appear in the lower right of the screen.
  Click the gear button. Ubuntu should be selected.

  If you are using a system with only an Nvidia graphics card (so your
  system is not a hybrid), there should be an Ubuntu on Wayland option.

  Otherwise, there should be an Ubuntu on Xorg option.

  Test Case 2
  -----------
  Also verify that the behavior stays the same for systems that don't have
Nvidia graphics.

  Create a new user (since existing users can choose their own session).
  Restart your system after applying the update.
  Select your name on the login screen.
  A gear button should appear in the lower right of the screen.
  Click the gear button. Ubuntu should be selected. There should also be an
Ubuntu on Xorg option.

  What Could Go Wrong
  -------------------
  Hybrid systems should actually be using the Intel graphics for to run GNOME
Shell so that's why it should be safe to use Wayland by default.

  There are some suspend & resume issues, an issue with gsync, etc.
  which is why Nvidia are requesting that we don't enable Wayland by
  default for systems that are only using the Nvidia graphics driver. We
  do still make it available in case someone really wants to try without
  needing to edit system files.

  Before last week, we were actually using Wayland by default for Nvidia
  systems so this upload returns most systems back to that status quo.

  Priority
  --------
  This is a high priority for the Desktop and OEM Teams and it's requested that
this update be available as soon as possible after release.

  The desktop live session defaults to Xorg not Wayland so this doesn't
  impact that session at all. We are not going to delay the release to
  get this fix on the Ubuntu 22.04 desktop ISO.

  Original Bug Report
  -------------------
  I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 on a Dell G15 5511 laptop that have an NVIDIA 3060
GPU. I saw in the last update in the gdm3 package that Wayland will be disabled
in machines with hybrid graphics.
  The question is: In this laptop I can enable optimus to use Intel and
sometimes NVIDIA or keep only on NVIDIA (I use this option). So even it's
detected two GPUs the Intel one is unused.
  I think the problem could extend for people with a desktop with an integrated
intel GPU and a discrete NVIDIA GPU, since both will be present in the system.
  So maybe will be necessary to check with more accuracy to check if there are
two GPUs, but only one is being used or have a documented option to force the
enablement of Wayland.