Updated the title because I think I figured out the key (and it looks
like others have too!).

If you navigate through the file system, the "name" box at the top
becomes greyed out, and when hit "save" nothing happens. If you click
into the name box again to make it active, it saves as expected.

If you click into one of the shortcut folders on the left (Downloads,
Home) it can save because the filename box remains active. However,
clicking any other folder the name box is inactive and saving just
doesn't happen.

  File save/download from all browsers fails to save when file name box
  is not active.

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Affecting Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi

  Files can not reliably be downloaded to any folder except ~/downloads
  and /tmp.

  Ubuntu 22.04

  Chrome installed from .deb, Brave installed from repos. Firefox and
  Chromium are both sneaky-snaps, but the behaviour is the same.

  Other reports in the wild:

  https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/74989/ubuntu-22-04-save-as-doesn-t-fully-work

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1405148/browsers-unable-to-save-downloads-to-network-drive-after-upgrade-to-ubuntu-22-04

  Similar Bug(s):