>From other places on the web, it appears to be the mesa drivers. Others
fixed it by changing the video card.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Firefox and Thunderbird fail to open after recent updates

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  System Info:
  Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  Firefox 100.0 (64 bit)
  Thunderbird 91.8.1 (64 bit)

  Received various updates yesterday which required a reboot. After
  reboot, base system operates fine, but Thunderbird and Firefox fail to
  open. As far as I can tell, these are the only applications affected.

  Tried to file a ubuntu-bug report but Firefox was the default browser,
  so that failed as well. I switched to Chromium as default and the bug
  report succeeds.

  Launching either Firefox or Thunderbird in Safe Mode from the terminal
  succeeds.

  As a troubleshooting step, I attempted to Mark All Upgrades, only
  files available were:

  apt (2.0.6) to 2.0.8
  apt-utils (2.0.6) to 2.0.8
  libapt-pkg6.0 (2.0.6) to 2.0.8
  login (1:4.8.1-1ubuntu5.20.04.1) to 1:4.8.1-1ubuntu5.20.04.2
  passwd (1:4.8.1-1ubuntu5.20.04.1) to 1:4.8.1-1ubuntu5.20.04.2

  Of special note: yesterdays automatic updates do not appear in Synaptic
History. The only updates which appear in recent History are the ones I
manually applied. They do appear when using :

  find /var/lib/dpkg/info/ -name \*.list -mtime -3 | sed
  's#.list$##;s#.*/##'

  This produces this list:

  mesa-vulkan-drivers:amd64
  systemd-sysv
  gnome-control-center
  libc6-dbg:amd64
  mesa-va-drivers:amd64
  libpcre3:i386
  libpam-systemd:amd64
  libldap-2.4-2:amd64
  apport
  python3-apport
  libc6-i386
  libc6:amd64
  libpcre3:amd64
  systemd-timesyncd
  libdrm-common
  libxatracker2:amd64
  gnome-control-center-faces
  libegl-mesa0:amd64
  udev
  libdrm-intel1:amd64
  sbsigntool
  libc6-dev:amd64
  libc6:i386
  libglapi-mesa:amd64
  libldap-common
  login
  libdrm-nouveau2:amd64
  systemd
  ubuntu-advantage-tools
  gnome-control-center-data
  mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64
  libdrm-amdgpu1:amd64
  openssh-client
  libtiff5:amd64
  apt-utils
  locales
  python3-problem-report
  libtiff5:i386
  apt
  libapt-pkg6.0:amd64
  apport-gtk
  libc-dev-bin
  libdrm-radeon1:amd64
  libgbm1:amd64
  libsystemd0:i386
  libsystemd0:amd64
  libdrm2:amd64
  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
  libc-bin
  libxml2:amd64
  passwd
  libudev1:i386
  libnss-systemd:amd64
  libudev1:amd64
  libglx-mesa0:amd64
  libxml2:i386

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.38
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.13.0-40.45~20.04.1-generic 5.13.19
  Uname: Linux 5.13.0-40-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.24
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Wed May 18 14:58:07 2022
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: release-upgrade
  VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
   Log time: 2021-08-22 16:56:14.687667
   Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Done
   None