Public bug reported:

I have this bug also if I install pipewire manaully on focal and jammy.

I use a Java Application using the javax.sound package to get a output to the
AudioSystem.
I have an own Java library using the same and I poked around a bit:

It uses Alsa as Output. The line object Java provides has the
possibility to ask for the available bytes in the buffer. Normally with
pulseaudio you can see the buffer getting filled and then, as the audio
get's played back, recovering by the played back bytes amount.

With pipewire-pulse on the other hand it just fills the buffer and
reporting no more available bytes. But it plays back the bytes
successfully written to the buffer. Meaning its unable to write more, as
the available buffer size never recovers, even though the already
written ones have been played just fine.

I have checked the behavior also on Debain-testing, Manjaro and Fedora. Fedora
is the only distro without this problem.
Fedora has the package pipewire-alsa in its repositories and installed, which
is not available on the other distros. If I have understood it correctly, the
alsa functionality should be included into the default pipewire-pulse now, but
for some reason fedora decided to keep the extra package?

So I'd really like to see pipewire-pulse being the default in the
future, but this has to be fixed somehow.

For reference, here's an issue on the pipewire gitlab I've filed already about
this:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/2255

Package: pipewire-pulse 0.3.48-1ubuntu1
CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Thu May 26 14:58:40 2022
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.10 "Kinetic Kudu" - Alpha amd64 (20220525)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: pipewire

** Affects: pipewire (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug focal jammy kinetic pipewire third-party-packages

Packages, which is subscribed to pipewire in Ubuntu.

  pipewire alsa blocks after initial buffer size of data got written

Status in pipewire package in Ubuntu: