I would say that any normal user would just /assume/ that these files
were not support and revert to Windows for this task... I found this bug
after doing just that in Oneiric.  I don't think it's reasonable to
close it just becuase you can install a different backend and have it
work... it may not be a bug in file-roller (other than that it does not
advise the user of options), but perhaps in the distribution planning
etc.

Clearly closing this bug without addressing it has lead to the problem
being present for 2 full cycles of LTS, and AES zip files are now much
more common.

Perhaps this can be moved to papercuts?

** Changed in: file-roller (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to file-roller in Ubuntu.

  file-roller will not open 256 AES zip files

Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: file-roller

  Winzip and many other zip programs can now produce zip files that are
  protected by 256 AES encryption.  FIle-roller in ubuntu cannot handle
  these zips.  The files within the zips are shown fine but when you try
  and extract the following error occurs:

  skipping: Test.txt                unsupported compression method 99

  I believe this is because "unzip" is used to extract the archive.  This is
the output from "unzip":
  dbrewer@HCC122J:~/Desktop$ unzip Test.zip
  Archive:  Test.zip
     skipping: Test.txt                unsupported compression method 99

  If "7z" is used it works fine:
  dbrewer@HCC122J:~/Desktop$ 7z x Test.zip

  7-Zip 4.51 beta  Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov  2007-07-25
  p7zip Version 4.51 (locale=en_GB.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

  Processing archive: Test.zip

  Extracting  Test.txt
  Enter password (will not be echoed) :

  Everything is Ok

  So I propose that file-roller uses "7z" instead of "unzip".

  I attach an example of this kind of file.  The password is "monkey"
  (no quotes).

  Note peazip also can handle this.  Maybe a replacement for file-
  roller?