I would expect that Firefox should show the dialog "What to do with file?"
again if OS is not able to open the file regardless the option "Do this
automatically from now" is ticked.
I guess Firefox nor OS cannot handle KML file itself. However the state "New
tab is open again and again  automatically" shouldn't occur because it could
exhaust memory in worst case and it's also bad use experience to see
neverending opening of new tabs.

  Firefox opens KML file in neverending loop if associated with "System
  Handler"

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Found when trying open a KML export file from Google Timeline.
  It can be reproduced even with an empty KML file.

  Steps:
  * Create an empty file "test.kml" (run "$ touch test.kml")
  * Open the application "Files"
  * Right click on the test.kml and open it with Firefox
  * Open with "System Handler" and check the option "Do this automatically for
files like this from now on" (see "Screenshot from 2022-06-05 11-13-23.png")

  Expected result:
  * No infinite opening

  Actual result:
  * Firefox starts opening the file again and again (see "Screenshot from
2022-06-05 11-04-35.png")

  Used SW:
  * Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
  * Firefox 101.0